Advanced practice nurses will learn valuable information in treating patients with endocrinology disorders. Expert faculty will present up-to-date information for clinical practice.
This activity is designed for nurse practitioners and nurses who provide care to patients with endocrine disorders. Other health care professionals with an interest in endocrine disorders will also gain significant knowledge from this activity.
After completing this activity, the participant will be able to do the following:
- Acquire an understanding of the medical and surgical approaches for the treatment of obesity and related diabetes;
- Understand the efficacy and side effect profile of bariatric surgery;
- State the prevalence and significance of having both heart failure and diabetes;
- Discuss nursing care priorities in managing both diabetes and heart failure;
- Discuss common causes of glucose excursions;
- Review time course of action of different insulins;
- Apply knowledge of insulin action to dose adjustment;
- Review diagnostic and management strategies in women with diabetes complicating pregnancy;
- Review cases and discuss new endocrine society guidelines pertaining to thyroid abnormalaties in pregnancy;
- Define how various DM medications target pathophysiology of DM2;
- Review pathophysiology of DM2;
- Define a stepwise approach to pharmacotherapy and DM 2 management;
- Discuss PCOS and review diagnostic criteria and lab test for PCOS;
- Review management strategies and treatment guidelines for PCOS.